TotalEnergies partners with Casa dos Ventos to develop renewable energy projects

Oct 26, 2022 by Energy Connects
image is renewable energy news for Energy Connects

TotalEnergies and Brazil's Casa dos Ventos (CDV) announced the creation of a joint venture to develop, build and operate the renewable portfolio of Casa Dos Ventos.

This portfolio includes 700 MW of onshore wind capacity in operation, 1 GW of onshore wind under construction, 2.8 GW of onshore wind and 1.6 GW of solar projects under well advanced development (COD within 5 years).

The joint venture (JV) will see TotalEnergies hold 34 percent stake and CDV with the remaining 66 percent. The JV will have the right to acquire the current and new projects that are or will be developed by CDV as they reach execution stage. The JV will thus be able to jointly foster its growth by accessing an additional portfolio of at least 6 GW, that CDV will continue to expand.

TotalEnergies will pay a cash consideration of $550 million and up to $30 million in earn-out to complete the acquisition. In addition, TotalEnergies will have the option to acquire an additional 15 percent equity share in the JV after 5 years.

TotalEnergies said in a statement that it will support the JV accelerating its growth thanks to its global presence in the Corporate PPA market, its purchasing power resulting from its worldwide size, its trading expertise well suited to the Brazilian merchant market and its strong balance sheet allowing the JV to improve its financing cost.

"After Adani Green in India and Clearway in the United States, I am delighted with this new major partnership in Brazil, with Casa dos Ventos, the leader in onshore wind energy. With this transaction, TotalEnergies acquires not less than a leading position in the Brazilian renewable energy market, one of the most dynamic merchant markets in the world. This market fits our strategy of taking advantage of the growth of the deregulated power markets, which is crucial to the energy transition, " said Patrick Pouyanné, Chairman and CEO of TotalEnergies.

“The partnership between Casa dos Ventos and TotalEnergies was structured to maximize the complementarities and synergies between the companies. In addition to its financial strength, TotalEnergies’ global footprint will contribute to the expansion of our client portfolio and enhance our knowledge in new fields of the energy transition. We are confident that this partnership positions us in a strategic role to lead the sustainable energy agenda in Brazil,” added Mario Araripe, founder and president of Casa dos Ventos.

Back To Top