PETRONAS, Gentari, Amazon and AWS to accelerate clean energy growth
PETRONAS, Gentari Sdn Bhd (Gentari), Amazon and Amazon Web Services (AWS) will collaborate in an effort to intensify their sustainability and decarbonisation initiatives in the accelerated global energy transition.
This aligns with PETRONAS’ commitment to deliver affordable, low-carbon energy solutions while concurrently reducing the emissions intensity of its operations. Leveraging Gentari’s expertise in clean energy solutions, the move also supports Amazon’s commitment to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2040.
The collaboration between the parties reflects a comprehensive approach towards sustainability, technological advancement, and socio-economic progress, which will involve exploring potentials in the following areas:
- Gentari will support the decarbonisation of Amazon’s India transportation network by working with third party delivery service partners to further electrify their transport vehicles. Amazon has committed to deploying 10,000 electric vehicles (EVs) in its India delivery fleet by 2025, and the collaboration will also involve Gentari providing electric vehicles and accompanying fleet management services for Amazon’s third-party delivery service partners.
- PETRONAS and AWS will explore designing and constructing a state-of-the-art plant of the future that incorporates cutting-edge technology, robotics, and automation solutions similar to those used in Amazon warehouses and facilities. This is to scale existing research and development efforts by PETRONAS for the potential production of microalgae oil as feedstock for sustainable aviation fuel.
- Amazon intends to evaluate PETRONAS’ low-carbon and alternative fuel solutions for potential integration in diverse areas such as mobility, stationary power applications, and carbon management.
- PETRONAS will continue leveraging AWS cloud technology to enhance and expand its existing and new solutions. These include SETEL, Malaysia’s first e-wallet for purchasing fuel at PETRONAS stations, and STEAR, a cloud-based logistics solution and services platform built on AWS for the offshore industry.
- AWS will continue to upskill technical and non-technical employees at PETRONAS and strengthen their digital literacy through AWS Training & Certification programmes. This is in line with AWS’ broader commitment to help develop a digitally trained workforce to power Malaysia’s digital economy.
PETRONAS Senior Vice President of Project Delivery and Technology, Datuk Bacho Pilong said, “PETRONAS believes that collaborations such as this, which builds on our long-standing relationship with Amazon and AWS and the expertise of Gentari in clean energy solutions, are vital to support Asia’s and the world’s transition towards cleaner energy. We invite like-minded partners to join forces in strengthening a sprawling innovation ecosystem that can address the many challenges along our journey to actualise a sustainable future together.”
Gentari CEO, Sushil Purohit added, “This collaboration between Gentari, PETRONAS, Amazon and AWS marks a pivotal moment as we strive to be at the forefront of energy transition, driving change to create a cleaner, more sustainable future. In line with our aim of becoming a valued clean energy solutions partner via our comprehensive offerings in renewable energy, hydrogen, and green mobility, Gentari is excited to support Amazon’s responsible approach in decarbonising their operations and helping them achieve their net zero aspirations.”
“Achieving a net zero future requires immediate and wide-ranging innovation across all industries, including the energy sector,” said AWS ASEAN’s Managing Director, Conor McNamara. “We are deepening our collaboration with PETRONAS and Gentari to support our shared goals of building a more sustainable world through nurturing expertise and technology. Together with PETRONAS and Gentari, and with our upcoming AWS Region in Malaysia, we look forward to supporting businesses and communities to advance their climate and digitalisation ambitions with the latest cloud technology and talent development.”
KEEPING THE ENERGY INDUSTRY CONNECTED
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the best of Energy Connects directly to your inbox each week.